Labels

Saturday, December 21, 2019

The Longest Night

The radiance of a full moon
hides not the void of starlight
Biting gently on my fingertips,
a seeping chill crawls into my heart

In this night that glimmer is distant
my lantern's glow rather inconsistent
Plunging into a dream seems pleasant
but waking suddenly, sweetness nonexistent

The distant horizon looks bleak
because it is not a crossroad I seek
Instead, an end to all journeys
as the summit eases
and my footprints cease
into those clouds
a mist-encased shroud

The thrill of travels
threading the fine fringe
comes with an understanding
that the eventual nesting
lies the familiar branches
above the roadside gravels

And so my steps continue and continue on
to that hill where the wind sang
in the crimson twilight
and a hand waiting to grasp mine

Oh the mighty
grant a blessing to the struggle
such that it is known--the longest night

No comments:

Post a Comment